Google is the #1 search engine that drives billions of searches per day. With over 90% market share, tapping into Google is crucial for lead generation.
In 2023, competition will be fierce as more businesses vie for the top spots. You’ll need smart strategies and optimization to stand out. This comprehensive guide will show you exactly how to get more leads from Google this year.
Optimize Your Website for Lead Generation
Your website needs to be designed to convert visitors into leads. Follow these tips:
1. Speed Up Your Site
Site speed hugely impacts conversions. Pages that load in under 2 seconds have up to 38% higher conversion rates.
– Use a fast web host like SiteGround or Flywheel.
– Compress images and media.
– Leverage browser caching.
Test your site speed with Google PageSpeed Insights and aim for at least 90/100 on mobile.
2. Increase Engaging Content
Unique, valuable content keeps visitors on your site longer, establishing trust and authority.
– Produce in-depth blog posts, eBooks, guides etc. Target 10 new pieces per month.
– Get contributors like influencers, experts and customers to author content.
– Repurpose content into multiple formats (blogs, videos, podcasts).
– Promote your best performing pieces across social media.
Measure time on page, bounce rates, and organic traffic growth to assess content impact.
3. Optimize Lead Capture Forms
Your forms should be simple, frictionless, and match user expectations.
– Only ask for essential info like name, email, phone.
– Use single column layouts on mobile.
– Allow instant form submission with Enter key.
– Offer multiple options like chat, phone, email sign up.
– Place forms prominently above the fold.
A/B test form layouts, fields, calls-to-action and reduce abandon rates.
4. Fix Technical Issues
Nothing hurts conversions more than technical problems.
– Eliminate 404 errors by redirecting dead links.
– Enable SSL encryption for security.
– Make site mobile responsive to support all devices.
– Resolve indexation issues blocking Googlebot.
– Fix structured data markup errors.
Monitor your website with tools like Google Search Console, Pingdom and Hotjar.
Do Keyword Research to Uncover Leads
Thorough keyword research reveals high-intent keywords that drive qualified visitors. Here’s how to find winners:
1. Analyze Existing Organic Traffic
Look at your top organic landing pages and traffic sources in Google Analytics. Identify common themes around keywords driving this traffic. Expand on these with related keywords.
2. Leverage Google Autocomplete
Type a broad phrase like “best accounting software” into Google. Look at the suggested searches. These show actual searcher intent. Compile keyword ideas from autocomplete.
Use Keyword Planner
Input seed keywords into Keyword Planner. Look at keyword ideas and filter by monthly search volume, competition, relevancy. Save potential targets.
Study Competitors and Industry
See what keywords competitors rank for by analyzing their organic traffic in SimilarWeb and SEMrush. Check Google Trends for rising industry terms.
Include Long-Tail Keywords
Long-tail keywords (phrases with 3+ words) have less competition and bring highly qualified visitors. Target these in addition to head terms.
Track keyword rankings to see which are gaining traction and diversify targets as needed.
Create Optimized Google Ads Campaigns
With the right campaign setup and structure, you’ll maximize conversions from Google Ads traffic.
1. Separate Brand vs Non-Brand
Keep brand and non-brand targeting separated into distinct campaigns. This lets you track and optimize both traffic types independently.
2. Align Ads to Funnels
Build campaigns based on your sales funnel stages. For example, have specific ads for awareness, consideration, sign up, or contact lead gen.
3. Use Smart Bidding Strategies
Leverage automated bidding strategies like target CPA or ROAS. Let Google’s AI optimize bids to meet conversion goals.
4. Set Up Conversion Tracking
Install conversion tracking like the Google tag manager on key pages. Track phone call conversions with call extensions. This improves relevancy.
5. Create Responsive Search Ads
Responsive search ads dynamically change headlines and descriptions to improve performance. Leverage them for flexibility.
Measure cost per lead (CPL), return on ad spend (ROAS) and conversion rate (CR) to gauge campaign success.
Craft High Performing Ads
Writing compelling, effective ads gives you an instant advantage. Use these tips for better ads:
1. Lead With Customer Value Propositions
Address the customer’s needs and highlight your solution right away in headlines and ad copy. Quickly convey value.
2. Use Emotional Triggers
Psychology-based words like “proven”, “risk-free”, “guaranteed” or “discover” elicit emotion and response. Work them into ad copy.
3. Dynamic Keyword Insertion
Insert matched keywords into headlines and copy to make ads hyper-relevant to each search. Improves click-through rate.
4. Call Extensions
Add click-to-call extensions to enable calling directly from ads. Great for service businesses who rely on phone leads.
5. Location Extensions
Location targeting adds your business address, phone number and map link to ads. Essential for driving local leads .
Constantly A/B test elements like ad copy, offers and layouts to drive more clicks and conversions.
Rank Higher with SEO
Winning the organic rankings brings qualified visitors who convert better. Use these SEO tips:
1. Create Title Tags with Primary Keywords
Title tags are critical for rankings. Include your primary keyword in the first 55 characters – the higher priority, the better.
2. Optimize URL Structure
URLs with keywords get indexed and ranked easier. Format URLs like example.com/key-phrase/
3. Boost Page Speed
Faster pages rank better in Google. Compress images, enable browser caching, defer non-critical JS.
4. Use Semantic HTML Markup
Use proper header tags (H1, H2, H3). Bold and italicize key phrases. This highlights keywords.
5. Produce In-depth, Useful Content
Long-form content like guides and ebooks builds links and authority. Promote your best performing content.
Measure organic traffic growth, new keywords ranking on page 1, and lower cost per acquisition from SEO over time.
Retarget Website Visitors
Retargeting warms up visitors and drives them back to convert. Try these strategies:
1. Install the Facebook Pixel
Add the Facebook pixel to enable retargeting on Facebook and Instagram. Build lookalike audiences from your traffic.
2. Create Google Ads Remarketing Lists
Build lists for visitors who engaged with key pages or content. Target them with ads across Google.
3. Retarget With Email
Collect lead emails and automatically follow up via campaigns. Send content and offers based on their original interests.
4. Use Quora For Retargeting
Upload your remarketing pixel to Quora. Target visitors with ads as they browse Quora content.
5. Produce Retargeting Landing Pages
Build custom landing pages addressing common visitor objections and guiding them to convert.
Evaluate cost per conversion from retargeting efforts against new customer acquisition costs.
Leverage LinkedIn Sponsored Content
LinkedIn has over 810 million professionals. Reach your audience with sponsored content.
1. Target by Job Title and Company
Refine your target market by job title, seniority, industry, company size and more. Get ultra-targeted.
2. Match Content to Each Stage
Create awareness content, nurture leads with educational posts, and promote offers with direct response content.
3. Retarget Website Visitors
Install the LinkedIn Insight tag and build audiences from your traffic. Then target them on LinkedIn.
4. Drive Traffic to Lead Gen Forms
Promote posts with Lead Gen Forms and collect lead info seamlessly without leaving LinkedIn.
5. Join LinkedIn Groups
Participate in relevant industry groups. Share your best content and offers contextually within group discussions.
Track cost per lead (CPL) and conversion rate (CVR) from LinkedIn ads to optimize delivery and targeting.
Generate More Calls and Leads With PPC
Pay-per-call ads let you earn a phone call directly from Google. Implement these strategies to boost calls:
1. Promote a Dedicated Call-Only Landing Page
Send PPC traffic to landing pages with clear call-to-actions above the fold and phone number prominently displayed.
2. Drive Calls With Location Targeting
Target ads by radius around your business location. Set call extensions to make clicking to call easy.
3. Leverage Call Reporting in Google Ads
Enable call reporting to optimize for phone call conversions rather than form fills or purchases.
4. Implement Call Tracking Numbers
Use unique call tracking numbers to identify the performance of each ad and keyword driving call volume.
5. Train Sales Reps to Convert Callers
Coach reps to effectively qualify and convert call leads. Track close rates by source to maximize profit.
Monitor cost per call (CPC) and return on ad spend (ROAS) benchmarks to reach volume and conversion goals.
Final Tips to Boost Leads
To round out your strategy, double down on these quick tactics:
– Promote offers and content upgrades everywhere – email, social media, YouTube.
– Collect and organize lead intel in a CRM to personalize follow up.
– Monitor metrics weekly and expand on what’s working. Cut what’s not.
– A/B test ads, landing pages and forms relentlessly to lift conversions.
– Take advantage of Google tools like Analytics, Search Console, Optimize 360.
– Watch out for Google algorithm updates and adjust targeting accordingly.
– Keep iterating! There’s always room for more growth and optimization.
This wraps up my top tips for maximizing leads from Google in 2023. Let me know if you have any other questions!